Send Topic Print
DH2 Revell 1/72 (Read 5870 times)
andonio64

There's no hurry
Bari, Apulia, Italy
DH2 Revell 1/72
12/20/12 at 10:36:07

Hallo everybody, here I am with my new build: Revell Airco DH 2 in 1/144 scale
The box says it’s a 144 and TBH that’s the reason why I took it off the shelf in the model shop round the corner, I wouldn’t had made another 72 after the Albie W4… But when I opened and measured the wingspan …

AAAAAAARGH

I realized it’s another 72!!!!
But now the match has started and I must play!

So here is some pictures and information, and perhaps some questions to the experts!

Here is the box and the main sources from where I will take information and inspiration:

After some study I decided the version I will build is s/n. 6011 - flight C - 24th Squadron RFC, Bertangles, France, July 1916.
According to Windsock and also to the instruction sheet, Flight C had the outer struts painted in blue / white and the wheel discs in blue.
Many profiles depict this in red / white, but Les Rogers in his monumental book confirms the colours were Red for Flight A, Black for Flight B and Blue for Flight C.

I have seen pictures of the plane after it was captured by Germans and while Oswald Boelcke inspects it, several details are visibly different in those pictures and in the kit, here are some decisions/questions I submit here for your validation:

4 blades Propeller in the photo / 2 blades in the kit: I realized the 4 blades prop was adopted for  DH2s, the pictures are dated Nov. 1916 while my version is dated July same year, therefore I assume the 2 blades prop can be a correct interpretation… (also because I don’t have a compatible 4 blades prop!)

The profile found in Ray Rimell publication shows the back outer strut in solid blue, but the picture shows it has 2 white stripes, what about the front outer strut?

24th Squadron invented the sawtooth pattern beneath the nacelle, and from the pictures it is clearly shown, so I’ll paint it, the colour of the teeth (according to Les Rogers) was either PC10 or Black, I’m not sure what colour to use, IMHO PC10 would look more real in continuity with the other surfaces.

The tank which is set on the upper wing is shown clearly displaced on the left, while normally it was mounted at the centre of the upper wing, I was not able to see how the tube connecting the tank to the nacelle (I suppose it ends in the engine…) goes.

I have found somewhere the design of pitot tube used for the DH2 where was it placed exactly?

Now let’s open the box: dear friends, the kit is really dreadful, many flashes and moulding signs coming out of the plastic…

The cockpit is totally missing any detail… instead of the seat there is a sort of gangway seat divided in two parts…

I measured the real seat dimensions from the Windsock and made it using my graphic editor

Printed on thick paper, cut off…

And glued with Elmers glue...

Here it is dry fitted in the nacelle while the astonished pilot stares at it.
As you can see the poor guy is affected by liquid retention and I regret to say he’ll get assigned to a non operational job...

I hope to finish this by the end of the year, because on January 1 on the Italian forum I am in (MAB) starts a Great War Campaign and I want to be in without anything pending on my bench!

...   ...    ...  
WWW andonio64  
IP Logged

andonio64

There's no hurry
Bari, Apulia, Italy
Re: DH2 Revell 1/72
Reply #1 - 12/20/12 at 10:39:14

Let’s go further in exploring the sins of this kit…

Underside of the upper wing: here are the notches where the tail booms will fit, too much similar to salami…

I took away the salami

Upper surface: I scribed the ailerons and created the centre section joint lines
I filled the hole where the upper tank should have put, although the position is correct, the shape of the tank is totally wrong

Lower wing, same operation

Here is the tank, I imagine they have taken it from an old motorcycle, look at its real shape on the profile:

I build a tail using styrene

Filled the gap with putty and added details

Then I turned my attention to the cockpit clearing the useless extruded numbers, writings and molding signs

I cleared off the absurd apron put on the MG opening

(I bought this Lewis on ebay to replace the shapeless worm provided by the kit)

I added some more details to the cockpit, the rudder bar handle is provisional

On the right the column where the MG will go, it is not finished yet. The black dot on the nose’s floor represents the position of the MG column behind which the rudder pedals will be placed

Here is a general view of the pieces done so far, on the cockpit side walls I glued some plasticard to simulate the wooden framework, I will glue the internal rigging after priming and painting them of course…

...   ...    ...  
WWW andonio64  
IP Logged

Rob Hart
Global Moderator

Did I say that?
Lower Slobbovia
Reply #2 - 12/20/12 at 15:13:54

You are off to a great start. Nice work on the seat and that Lewis is a beauty. Do you have a link to the Italian forum? I would like to follow the Great War Campaign builds.

IP Logged

Gawonii
YaBB Administrator

Modeling is a life philosphy

Alabama
Reply #3 - 12/20/12 at 18:50:38

You really wanted to do this kit in 1/144!?  Nuts, I tell ya Cheesy

Nice work so far.  I'm taking notes.

Mark

I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.
   Albert Einstein
Mark.Gawonii Gawonii  
IP Logged

Old Man

Reply #4 - 12/20/12 at 20:13:06

Very nice, Sir!

I remember when this kit first came out, and I was very happy to see it; it was the first kit of a pusher type ever made.

You seem to be making it into the model it always aspired to be....

IP Logged

andonio64

There's no hurry
Bari, Apulia, Italy
Reply #5 - 12/22/12 at 16:15:27

Rob Hart wrote on 12/20/12 at 15:13:54:
You are off to a great start. Nice work on the seat and that Lewis is a beauty. Do you have a link to the Italian forum? I would like to follow the Great War Campaign builds.

Hi Rob,
thanks for your interest...
this is the link to the Forum's home page:
http://mab.forumfree.it/

The Campaign URL is (will be) the following:
http://mab.forumfree.it/?f=11004727

At the moment you'll find only one thread called "Campagna: 1914-1918" where each of us is discussing the model he'll build in the campaign.

Should you need any help with translation please don't hesitate to get in touch with me!

Antonio

...   ...    ...  
WWW andonio64  
IP Logged

andonio64

There's no hurry
Bari, Apulia, Italy
Reply #6 - 12/26/12 at 00:13:45

Hi folks... a few new things done:
detailed study of the rigging schema, it's really a mess, I should study how to place the eyelets I normally use for fixing the wire, still thinking to how to manage the tail booms rigging, as I would try to use a single wire as far as possible, but there is not enough plastic to pierce without compromising the strength of the pieces...

then here are some details I worked on
On the nacelle: oil and fuel caps, air intake (scarcely visible)
Fuel tank to be placed behind the seat
Compass fairing
Fixing slips for the gravity tank

Moreover I pierced the tail planes and rudder to insert self made control horns.

Tomorrow I'll pierce the two wings to insert self made control horns and prime everything.

Any suggestion for the seat belts? Which type was used and where to find inspiratio to self build them?

Goodnight!!!!

...   ...    ...  
WWW andonio64  
IP Logged

Rob Hart
Global Moderator

Did I say that?
Lower Slobbovia
Reply #7 - 12/26/12 at 04:43:59

This is a good DH2 rigging guide:

http://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/files/dh2_rigging.pdf

IP Logged

andonio64

There's no hurry
Bari, Apulia, Italy
Reply #8 - 12/26/12 at 10:59:16

Thanks Rob, that's exactly what I used as main reference, with some minor corrections after looking at Windsock and WNW instructions booklet.

I will make some simplification anyway such as turning double wires into "single" ones...

Any clue on the seatbelts?
« Last Edit: 12/27/12 at 00:49:33 by andonio64 »  

...   ...    ...  
WWW andonio64  
IP Logged

Gawonii
YaBB Administrator

Alabama
Reply #9 - 12/26/12 at 21:00:12

The best I can tell you about the seat belts is to do a search on the Eduard ProfiPack and look at the pe fret.  I hate sending someone to another site but.... http://www.hyperscale.com/2011/reviews/kits/eduard8094reviewrb_1.htm

They look simple enough to scratch.  Providing Eduard got it right, of course.

Mark

I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.
   Albert Einstein
Mark.Gawonii Gawonii  
IP Logged

andonio64

There's no hurry
Bari, Apulia, Italy
Reply #10 - 12/27/12 at 00:43:02

Thanks Mark, it was simpler than drinking a glass of water...

Wink

I guess Eduard is reliable enough!

...   ...    ...  
WWW andonio64  
IP Logged

andonio64

There's no hurry
Bari, Apulia, Italy
Reply #11 - 01/01/13 at 23:38:03

Hallo everybody, here is progress I succeeded to make during these holidays:

- Seatbelts, as suggested by Mark, I copied them after an Eduard PE fret I cut them from a tin toothpaste tube

- Upper part of the nacelle with the small holes ready to receive the rigging starting from there

- Sides of the nacelle, I tried to replicate on the inner sides of the cockpit the CDL stained by the PC 10 coating of the outside.
The two external sides appear to have different shades of color but it was just because of an uneven lighting.
The one which on my monitor appears closer to the real effect is the darker one (right)

- Here is the cockpit floor, before the two sides are closed. I'll close them after I mount the Lewis MG stand and the dashboards.

Everything you see in the cockpit is scratch built.

Thanks for looking and I wish you all a beautiful 2013!
« Last Edit: 01/02/13 at 01:56:04 by andonio64 »  

...   ...    ...  
WWW andonio64  
IP Logged

Gawonii
YaBB Administrator

Alabama
Reply #12 - 01/02/13 at 01:17:00

Great job with those belts.  Who need store bought? Grin

Mark

Albert Einstein
Mark.Gawonii Gawonii  
IP Logged

andonio64

There's no hurry
Bari, Apulia, Italy
Reply #13 - 01/07/13 at 22:52:46

Hallo,
here are my latest development:

I prepared the surfaces for some preshading the bottom surfaces were primered in white to hold the CDL while the upper surfaces will be painted in PC10 and I will try a different way of getting the ribs enhanced.

"Half-dry" brush over the surfaces

Here is the tailpiece: the small dents that appear on the borders of the three colors are barely seen by the naked eye...
The fin and the rudder broke apart while handling them, I think there will be no problem in glueing them together again...
For the White field I used a Misterkit (Bianco sporco Regia Marina MK-RM09) off-white which I find great! In the picture it's not well appraisable
I am using it to paint the bottom of the nacelle.

I decide to leave open the back of the nacelle so there will be the possibility to see through where the oil tank was. Here is how the two tanks were housed.
Here's my solution (the top of the nacelle was just laid on the tanks).
I will glue them after installing the rigging cables departing from the nacelle.

This is the nose table through which the Lewis stand goes.
(the shaft will be shortened after the cockpit will be closed)

Two coats of PC10 and a slight sanding (1200 grain) of the tailplanes, I wanted to give the ribs some worn-out contrast... I drilled holes for the rigging and slots for the self made control horns ...

Here is the engine I'll try to reproduce.
The 9 cylinders are not easy to distribute symmetically on the circular structure....

During this week I should try to complete the engine and start painting the CDL.

Thanks for looking!

AnDonio

...   ...    ...  
WWW andonio64  
IP Logged

Gawonii
YaBB Administrator

Alabama
Reply #14 - 01/08/13 at 01:15:41

That engine is going to be sweet when done.

Mark

Albert Einstein
Mark.Gawonii Gawonii  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print