Bellanca Aircruiser (Read 11527 times)
Paul W
Stellar Member

so what if I do smell.
Im an ex squid
Mounds,Ok
Re: Bellanca Aircruiser
Reply #15 - 07/15/12 at 05:30:40

You make it look so easy Stoney. I admire your skill.

[img][URL=http://s1237.photobucket.com/user/Paul6187/media/222592_200712286631572_6312594_n_zps5493cb8e.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff479/Paul6187/th_222592_200712286631572_63125
Paul.Wilsford1  
IP Logged

sharkman
Stellar Member

Floaters!
Dartmouth, NS, Canada
Reply #16 - 07/15/12 at 15:12:01

Nice, I really like the way the ribbing turned out! very good technique!

Warren
Currently on the bench....Revell B25J, Noix R3C-1, Accurate Miniatures Yak-1

IP Logged

Stoneboat
Gold Member

Modeling is a life philosphy

The local seaplane base
Reply #17 - 07/16/12 at 03:40:54

Thanks fellas. Sharkey here's how I got 'em lined up. I located the first one inboard of the stab tip and used a square to line it up along the stabilizer chord. I then used a little piece of 1/8" basswood, that I sanded a bit off the thickness, as a spacer to position the second one.

From then on it was easy, mark the rib position with the spacer, draw the line with the square and glue the styrene rib along the pencil mark.

I got the idea from Old Man from that wonderful Curtiss Hawk he built awhile back. The really touchy part is sanding down the ribs. You don't want them too pronounced, they were, after all, just outlines of the real ribs under the fabric covering. You don't want the thing to look like the wings on the Modelcraft Norseman. Shocked

IP Logged

sharkman
Stellar Member

Floaters!
Dartmouth, NS, Canada
Reply #18 - 07/16/12 at 19:39:24

Well, I think you did a great job!

Warren

IP Logged

Stoneboat
Gold Member

The local seaplane base
Reply #19 - 07/20/12 at 04:21:58

[Maniacal laugh]This thing is going so well I just might never build an injection kit again.[/Maniacal laugh]

Houston, we have a problem! After removing the fuselage halves from the backing sheet, and carefully, repeat carefully sanding away the excess plastic, I was left with four fuselage halves that fit together rather well I thought. There was one small problem. The engine firewall was kind of oval. Shocked

After a cold beverage, the engineering department came up with a solution. Glue a couple of strips of styrene to the firewall to widen it.

Whereupon the law of unintended consequence rears its ugly head! Those, gentlemen, are SEAMS! Top...

...And bottom.

More engineering? Of course. More cold beverages? Mais oui! I cut some strips from a sheet of .020 styrene and glued them along the edges - top and bottom - of each fuselage half.

When fitted together the seam all but disappears.

Sand the unsightly excess, here...

...And there...

...Feather the edges front to back and test fit.

Seam? What seam? 'Twas a mere bagatelle. Wink

A very preliminary skketch of the location of the doors and windows on BLT. Signor Bellanca surely liked to offer his passengers a view of their surroundings did he not?

IP Logged

Paul W
Stellar Member

so what if I do smell.
Im an ex squid
Mounds,Ok
Reply #20 - 07/20/12 at 06:07:54

Mon Deux. Est bonitafull. I am enjoying this as much as you are. I like the way you work Stoney.

[img][URL=http://s1237.photobucket.com/user/Paul6187/media/222592_200712286631572_6312594_n_zps5493cb8e.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff479/Paul6187/th_222592_200712286631572_63125
Paul.Wilsford1  
IP Logged

sharkman
Stellar Member

Floaters!
Dartmouth, NS, Canada
Reply #21 - 07/20/12 at 15:15:01

I think I've finally figured out your secret to great models stoney, ...........
Lots of cold beverages!!

Lookin' good!

I've got a couple vac kits of a seagull and a glen. I'll have to tackle them someday though Mike West from Lone Star says he's bringing out a resin seagull in the near future....

Warren

IP Logged

Old Man

Reply #22 - 07/24/12 at 23:27:30

Wonderful, wonderful work, Sir!

I bow to the master....

IP Logged

John E
Global Moderator

Who, me?
Northern California
Reply #23 - 07/25/12 at 07:37:07

And with all those bay windows I see a spectacular interior coming up. 16 wicker seats hand woven from slivers of bass wood?

John
IP Logged

Stoneboat
Gold Member

The local seaplane base
Reply #24 - 07/26/12 at 06:00:07

Thank you for the kind comments fellas, muchly appreciated.

Quote:
I think I've finally figured out your secret to great models stoney, ...........
Lots of cold beverages!!

They're unto me.   Grin
Glad you got the Canso stuff ok.

Quote:
16 wicker seats hand woven from slivers of bass wood?

Heh heh, not a chance. The seats were side saddle and folded up agin the walls to clear the floor for cargo. Believe it or not, there was a biffy with a sink back in the rear.  Shocked

IP Logged

Stoneboat
Gold Member

The local seaplane base
Reply #25 - 07/27/12 at 03:54:19

All the door and window openings have been cut away. Both aircraft had two windows and two portholes a side. BKV had the cargo door on the left and the pax door on the right...

...And BLT had the opposite.

The cargo door is a kind of teepee-shaped affair, maybe the Bellanca engineers had gotten into the vino. I used the cockpit door rear post as a datum to measure the location of everything aft of there. The numbers scratched on the fuselage sides are in 32nds of an inch.

The floor of the airplane was made of aluminum, soooo...break out the eavestrough! I cut the floor from a piece of .010 aluminum sheet and after much dry fiitting and fiddling got it to conform to the contour of the fuselage interior. First though, I glued a strip of styrene along the fuselage half, the thickness of the floor below the door sill.

The floor now sits on my strip, flush with the rear door sill...

...But below the cockpit door sill, which is as it's supposed to be.

With the fuselage halves dry-fitted together, Viola! a cabin floor.

The outrigger portion of those ginormous wing struts - sesquiplanes? - attach to the bottom of the fuselage. I'd already drilled holes for the locating pins in the ends of the outriggers, so now came the job of drilling matching holes in each fuselage half. There was no problem locating the holes fore and aft, it was the vertical location that posed a problem. The little blue marks are plastic plugs for holes I drilled that didn't match.

The trailing edge of the outrigger is supposed to be in line with the bottom of the fuselage. so that hole required two attempts to rectify. Once I had one side done, the remaining side(s) were a simple matter of measurement. Piece of cake, right? HA!

The outriggers canted down about 25 degrees, near as I can figure, so I had to devise a way to cut the ends at an angle. A jiglet was called for! A short piece of scrap basswood, cut at the proper angle and butted against the underside of the outrigger provided the perfect answer. Cut an angle with a new #11, check it against my jiglet...

...Then sand to the nth degree using the jiglet as backup.

Pinned and dry fitted rear...

...And front view. Nothing a bit o' Bondo can't fix later.

Repeat for the other side, tape the fuselage halves together, add a ruler for a wing and Viola! They didn't call it the flying W for nothing.

IP Logged

KoJo

I Like Scale

Reply #26 - 07/27/12 at 04:35:37

This is some amazing work! This will turn out great!

http://spamodeler.proboards.com/ Scale Plastic Aircraft Modeler

IP Logged

Stoneboat
Gold Member

The local seaplane base
Reply #27 - 07/27/12 at 04:40:08

Did I say HA! a few minutes ago? Here's why. After I drilled the holes through the fuselage sides for the outrigger locator pins comes the rude awakening. The holes line up with the cabin floor. Shocked

This is unacceptable, since the soft plastic of the fuselage isn't strong enough to anchor the pins. I had planned to glue a small block of wood and run the pins through that. More engineering. More cold beverages. Cameron's gonna owe me a fortune for saspirilla. Grin
What I did was cut a small block of 1/8" basswood, sanded it to the contour of the fuselage interior...

...And glued...

...And pinned it in place.

Now, cut a notch in the floor the same size and location as the block...

...And there she be.

Added bonus. From pictures I've seen of the restoration project at the WCAM in Winnipeg I believe the cockpit floor on these aircraft was stepped up, in other words the cockpit floor was flush with the cockpit door sill. If this is indeed so, the cockpit floor will sit on top of that wooden block. It will require a little trimming, but that is a mere piffle. Also, to disguise the block I could cover it with beer can with a few louvers cut into it and call it a heater outlet. Grin

IP Logged

MichelC

Reply #28 - 07/27/12 at 12:37:53

All this scratchbuilding is really impressive! Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

chukw
Gold Member

More detail, dammit!!

Reply #29 - 07/27/12 at 17:10:06

Not so much a kit- rather, a loose framework around which you will scratchbuild a beautiful model.   Wink

Fascinating, Captain!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 8
Send Topic Print