Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Hobbycraft's "Old Tool" Sopwith Camel (Read 5072 times)
Spads57

"What Me Worry"
Deep South
Hobbycraft's "Old Tool" Sopwith Camel
11/15/10 at 20:07:11

Afternoon All,
I thought I'd post a few photo's of my latest project for your enjoyment. For this project I'm reworking the "Old Tool" 1/32 scale Camel. Actually began in late September as a test to see if I could still build following my stroke in August.Luckily I'm still in the game but with additional challenges.
I think most WWI modeler are aware of the short coming of this kit,most of which are easily correctable.One correction still has me baffled as to the best way to correct though,the exhaust channel under the nose.

First correction was to reduce the overdone ribs.Hours and hours of sanding.
It's hard to tell from the photo's but the wings and tail surfaces have been reduced to mere faint raised lines,hopefully prefect for later rib tape.

Now to the biggest part of correction,the fuselage interior.What I'm attempting to do is to build up a 3/4 framework.At present I'm not positive if I'll stay with this frame or build another,will see.
As you can see once the frame is completed it's designed to slip into the assembled fuselage.

That's all for now,as always any and all comments are most welcomed.

Regards,
Gregory Jouette

IP Logged

Kornbeef

Modeling is a life philosphy

Kent   Sunny... England
Re: Hobbycraft's "Old Tool" Sopwith Camel
Reply #1 - 11/16/10 at 10:11:47

You brave soul Grin  

I have 3 of these (2 academy & 1HC) and was contemplating building one...three times I've looked at it and baulked, I have the PofP etch set too to use.

Anyway she looks good so far, and yes the wingribs are a little overdone and I decided on the same route you have before quitting again and tackling something less taxing.

Keith

IP Logged

Rob Hart
Global Moderator

Did I say that?
Lower Slobbovia
Reply #2 - 11/16/10 at 15:26:16

Impressive work on the interior framing. Did you use a jig or line it all up by Mk.I eyeball?

IP Logged

Spads57

"What Me Worry"
Deep South
Reply #3 - 11/16/10 at 15:55:37

Thanks Guys much appreciated.
Keith I always enjoy a challenge,that's why I build the old kits and vacuforms I'd love to see what you can do with your old Camel.

Bob the frame was built using the Ol' Mk I. Came out fairly close but not as I wished.

Regards,
Gregory Jouette

IP Logged

Thegirl
YaBB Moderator

Canada
Reply #4 - 11/19/10 at 19:53:41

Will be following this build closely as it unfolds . Very nice job on the framing so far .  Cool

IP Logged

OTM
Stellar Member

Houston, Tx.
Reply #5 - 11/19/10 at 20:13:16

Agree!.......Very nice job on that internal framework...... Smiley

Keep us posted!!!

IP Logged

Dave

Joining Downwind
Canterbury, New Zealand
Reply #6 - 11/19/10 at 23:04:20

Well your off to a great start Gregory, your work so far looks fantastic! Great attention to detail. I look forward to following your progress.

Dave

IP Logged

Spads57

"What Me Worry"
Deep South
Reply #7 - 11/20/10 at 00:24:17

Here's another small update for you.Not much really other than a little painting. Progress on the Camel will be slower due to it's taking the backseat to my SPAD.

Here's the basic frame finally in paint.Now the fun part detailing it out.

That's all for now,more coming soon. Thanks to everyone for your replies and kind remarks.Much appreciated.

Regards,
Gregory Jouette

IP Logged

Spads57

"What Me Worry"
Deep South
Reply #8 - 11/25/10 at 23:50:19

Guys and Gals,
Time for another Camel update. The following bits were done over the last few days while taking a break from the SPAD project. As always any and all comments are welcomed and appreciated.

Additional progress on the Camel frame.

Scratched Instrument panel the only aftermarket items used were the instrument decals. Many thanks Des for the decals too.

Dry run with both fuel tanks in place and the instrument panel.

That's all for now. I still need to fabricate the rudder bar and stick before closing up the fuselage. I hope you're enjoying my Camel. Oh and Happy Thanksgiving to one and all.

Regards,
Gregory Jouette

IP Logged

Rudd21
YaBB Newbies

"An intellectual carrot,
the mind boggles!"
Smithers, BC, Canada
Reply #9 - 11/26/10 at 01:23:32

That's looking real good Greg!  Smiley Your technique for simulating the wood grain is something I can't wait to try on my SE.5.

As a side note, I just have to say how much I'm enjoying this site, and thanks to you and all the others in the WWI SIG, I've learned more by your fine examples about building these amazing machines in the past few weeks than I have in all my time at FSM. Can't thank you guys and gals enough.

"We have our own ammunition, it's filled with paint. When we fire it, it makes pretty pictures - scares the hell outta people."

IP Logged

Rob Hart
Global Moderator

Did I say that?
Lower Slobbovia
Reply #10 - 11/26/10 at 02:53:54

I agree with Rudd21, that is looking really good. You are definitely still in the game.

IP Logged

Paddy
Gold Member

Surrey UK
Reply #11 - 11/26/10 at 07:20:57

Most impressive Spads ! Some great builds going on here and yours is right up there with the best  Smiley

IP Logged

Thegirl
YaBB Moderator

Canada
Reply #12 - 11/26/10 at 17:16:22

You still have that magic touch my friend ! well done so far  Smiley

IP Logged

Spads57

"What Me Worry"
Deep South
Reply #13 - 11/29/10 at 01:54:53

Evening All,
It's time for a small update on my Camel project. But before that I'd like to thank one and all for all your more than kind comments.As I said at the beginning of the thread this project is my first since the stroke in August.I honestly wasn't certain how well if at all I could build.I'm more than grateful that my ability to build wasn't lost for good and hope in time to fully recover it all.

Well as to the latest interior work the frame is now complete or rather as complete as I'm going to get it.No photo etch was used everything is scratched from plastic bar stock and wire.The bracing wires and control wire are elastic rigging material.

Last for tonight the Pilots seat.Should be wicker but I had to give up on building my own for now.First try was all from scratch,second was a modification of the kit seat.The final pilots seat was robbed from second Camel kit.

That's all for now.As always any and all comments are welcomed and appreciated.
Regards,
Gregory Jouette

IP Logged

Paul W
Stellar Member

so what if I do smell.
Im an ex squid
Mounds,Ok
Reply #14 - 11/29/10 at 01:59:35

That is dedication to detail. All that rigging would make me go insane let alone be able to tie it all together. My hat is off to you.

[img][URL=http://s1237.photobucket.com/user/Paul6187/media/222592_200712286631572_6312594_n_zps5493cb8e.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff479/Paul6187/th_222592_200712286631572_63125
Paul.Wilsford1  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print