Send Topic Print
BBQ Rib recipe (Read 3353 times)
Proud Marine Dad
Stellar Member

I Model, therefore I am

Hayward, CA
BBQ Rib recipe
06/22/10 at 01:43:36

I got this today off of Brian Sussman's show on KSFO and it sounds good.
I want to try it ASAP!

June 21 - 25, 2010

Sussman's Patriot Ribs:

Cover, but don't smother, both sides of baby back ribs with rub of choice (I prefer Kirkland's Sweet Mesquite BBQ Rub).
Place ribs (meat side up) in ceramic or glass baking pan.

Pour Samuel Adam's Cream Stout (or, if you prefer, Guinness Stout) into pan, at least an inch deep.

Cover with aluminum foil. Let sit for a couple hours.

Preheat oven to 320.  Bake ribs (in the pan, covered with the foil) for two and a half hours. Turn off heat. Let ribs remain in closed oven for another hour.

Braise ribs over hot BBQ grill. This is "show time;" all we're doing here is putting some grill marks on the meat. I usually start with about three minutes on the bone side, and then three on the meat side. While the bone side is up, I slather on my favorite BBQ sauce (Sweet Baby Rays). After braising the meat side I turn the ribs over and quickly slather the sauce atop the ribs, and then pull them off the grill and onto a serving plate.

Observing the ribs one last time, make sure there is ample sauce covering the meat.

One final note: place a roll of paper towels on the dinner table--you'll need 'em.

"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth- and the amusing thing about it is that they are."

IP Logged

Bondoman
Stellar Member

San Francisco Bay Area
Re: BBQ Rib recipe
Reply #1 - 06/22/10 at 01:56:56

Thought you meant this bad boy!
http://www.patriotboats.co.uk/

IP Logged

Proud Marine Dad
Stellar Member

I Model, therefore I am

Hayward, CA
Reply #2 - 06/22/10 at 02:06:32

Bondoman wrote on 06/22/10 at 01:56:56:
Thought you meant this bad boy!
http://www.patriotboats.co.uk/

Haha! No Bill. My bass boat would smoke that thing.  Wink

"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth- and the amusing thing about it is that they are."

IP Logged

Moon Puppy
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 06/22/10 at 18:45:18

Proud Marine Dad wrote on 06/22/10 at 01:43:36:
Braise ribs over hot BBQ grill.

Technically this is not braising. When you had the meat in the pot with liquid in the oven, that is Braising. You can braise on a grill but the meat would still have to be in the pot with liquid for it to be braising. Once you're out of that pot you've stopped braising.

But this works well for Ribs. I've cooked ribs one and off for a long time. Pretty much given up trying to find my perfect receipt, instead I go to our Carolina BBQ joint and pickup their smoked ribs.

My problem has always been that I want to smoke, and only smoke ribs. This takes hours 6-8 hours generally. Braising will cut those hours down significantly. My brother cooks ribs all the time but he uses that liquid smoke crap...I can't stand that stuff, comes back to haunt me every time I eat it.

Wonder if Matt will share his ribs technique... Cool

IP Logged

firesmacker
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 06/22/10 at 19:53:02

Here is a rub that I use a lot:

1 cup brown sugar
1 tbs black pepper
2 tbs sea salt
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp celery seeds

After washing the ribs and removing the membrane, give them a light coat of yellow mustard. I usually squirt in on and rub it all over.

Add the rub and then wrap them in Saran Wrap and place them in the fridge for at least 4 hours. Over night is better. Take them out at least a half hour before placing them into the smoker or onto the grill.

To sauce of not to sauce is up to you. Sometimes I do, smetimes I don't. If I do, I never put sauce on all of them since my kids are picky wierdos.

This recipe will work for any kind of pork. I even used it a for a brisket once.

IP Logged

Moon Puppy
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 06/22/10 at 20:01:58

Remove the Membrain he says so nonchalantly.. Cheesy

IP Logged

firesmacker
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 06/22/10 at 20:05:53

Quote:
Remove the Membrain he says so nonchalantly.. Cheesy

Just make a small cut, Get a good grip on it with a paper towel and 90% of the time you'll get it all off in one shot. I didn't learn that technique until about 6 months ago. Works like a charm.

IP Logged

Moon Puppy
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 06/22/10 at 20:13:52

Oh I know the technique, just 90% of the time it rips in to thin pieces and is left with another small cut..grip with paper towel and repeat....drives me bonkers. It's when I started going to the Carolina BBQ Shack... Cool

IP Logged

firesmacker
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 06/22/10 at 20:22:13

Roger that. Maybe I oversimplified it in my description. It is a frigging pain and I sometimes consider just leaving it on. (I never do) Wink

Since like me, you seem to have some time on your hands today, check out this site http://amazingribs.com/.

Disclaimer: That site is not recommended to be viewed on an emtpy stomach.

IP Logged

Moon Puppy
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 06/22/10 at 20:55:14

Great Site! blowing off the rest of the afternoon work, it'll be here waiting on me tomorrow.

IP Logged

Bondoman
Stellar Member

San Francisco Bay Area
Reply #10 - 06/22/10 at 21:00:46

Ignoring the BBQ vs. grilling definitions, because Suss'es recipe is grilling, not BBQ, I grill baby backs and barbeque spare ribs, St. Louis cut.

The Bible if you will is "Smoke and Spice" by the Jamisons. There are plenty of other good BBQ books, but this one mixes simplicity with authentic flavor. Rec.'d by my buddy Pitmaster Jim.

I braise my baby backs in the oven like Mike suggested. Not done it with beer, I use water, cilantro, ginger and garlic but it sounds good.

Baste with my special miso-soy sauce and grill for the char.

I smoke real ribs 6-7 hours, with my own special rub, although I think the Trader Joe's rub is real good too.
Sauce on the side. I like em dry, not wet.

IP Logged

Moon Puppy
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 06/22/10 at 22:39:47

Bondoman wrote on 06/22/10 at 21:00:46:
Ignoring the BBQ vs. grilling definitions, because Suss'es recipe is grilling, not BBQ, I grill baby backs and barbeque spare ribs, St. Louis cut.

The Bible if you will is "Smoke and Spice" by the Jamisons. There are plenty of other good BBQ books, but this one mixes simplicity with authentic flavor. Rec.'d by my buddy Pitmaster Jim.

I braise my baby backs in the oven like Mike suggested. Not done it with beer, I use water, cilantro, ginger and garlic but it sounds good.

Baste with my special miso-soy sauce and grill for the char.

I smoke real ribs 6-7 hours, with my own special rub, although I think the Trader Joe's rub is real good too.
Sauce on the side. I like em dry, not wet.

Worth of a man is knowing what the nonsubtle differences between BBQ and Grilling.

I may have to repost the clarification from last 4th of July for our new friends here at Swanny's  Wink.

IP Logged

tomwes
Stellar Member

Modeling is a life philosphy

Modeling Heaven - RIP
Reply #12 - 06/23/10 at 01:21:08

I don't know much about cooking ribs so I'll insert my foot in my mouth now Wink. About a month ago a friend did up some ribs and his recipe was a dry rub (don't know what he used), placed ribs in pan, poured in 2 bottles of beer and one liter of Dr. Pepper and put in oven. They were very, very good.......BBQ sauce on the side.

Tom

P.S. Please don't tar and feather me Roll Eyes. I'm just the messenger!!!!

tom.wesendorf79  
IP Logged

firesmacker
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 06/23/10 at 01:34:38

tomwes wrote on 06/23/10 at 01:21:08:
I don't know much about cooking ribs so I'll insert my foot in my mouth now Wink. About a month ago a friend did up some ribs and his recipe was a dry rub (don't know what he used), placed ribs in pan, poured in 2 bottles of beer and one liter of Dr. Pepper and put in oven. They were very, very good.......BBQ sauce on the side.

Tom

P.S. Please don't tar and feather me Roll Eyes. I'm just the messenger!!!!

Not a damn thing wrong with that, Tom. If you liked it, you liked it. It's more the actual definition of BBQ vs. Grilling. Grilling is direct heat on whatever you are cooking and BBQ is low and slow using indirect heat.

I would never try and tell another person that they didn't really like what they said was tasty.

IP Logged

Moon Puppy
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 06/23/10 at 04:32:27

Git'er done Tom, that was Braisin' the meat.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print