Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
MRC 1/35 Bell UH-1C Huey gunship (Read 19670 times)
intrepid1

"No, honey, that's not
another new model. I've
ha
Denver, CO
Re: MRC 1/35 Bell UH-1C Huey gunship
Reply #15 - 03/12/10 at 09:22:01

I removed the four pedal skid plates (the molded on kit plates were far too thick, & each one had a sink mark at its rear edge) at the forward edge of the cabin floor just forward of the cyclic stick boots, and sanded this edge smooth.  A small portion of the original plates remained on the floor panel, and will serve as the mount points for the new photoetched skid plates.  I used my trusty X-acto knife with the No.17 chisel blade to remove the molded on detail on the instrument panel, and then sanded this smooth.  The instrument panel will be replaced by the painted photoetched panel and the color film background.  I also removed three prominent raised round molding stubs from the rear of the panel & standed smooth.  This area will be visable through the transparent chin bubbles, and I plan on adding some scratchbuilt details here.  I removed some of the cockpit parts that will require significant modification and stuck them on some pieces of tape in the bottom of the box to keep them organized.
« Last Edit: 03/15/10 at 01:07:43 by intrepid1 »  

IP Logged

intrepid1

"No, honey, that's not
another new model. I've
ha
Denver, CO
Reply #16 - 03/13/10 at 00:58:27

The Eduard Big Ed set and the etch mate photoetch tool arrived today.
« Last Edit: 03/15/10 at 01:02:52 by intrepid1 »  

IP Logged

dollar19
Ex Member

Reply #17 - 03/13/10 at 01:26:30

Oh man this is gonna be sweet!! Cool

IP Logged

intrepid1

"No, honey, that's not
another new model. I've
ha
Denver, CO
Reply #18 - 03/15/10 at 00:57:41

After having read several reviews of this kit, I decided to check the fit
of the fuselage halves, as many builders have reported a warpage issue.
Sure enough, there is some distortion in the forward half.  The fit of
the tail boom is OK, but from there forward it is not so good.  There
is no obvious one place where the warp is, either-I think it is actually
several very small & subtle areas.  I'm going to try something that's worked
for me in the past-I'm going to boil a big pot of water, tape the halves
together, and dip the forward section of the fuselage it for a few seconds at
a time, then remove it and apply pressure from my hands.  I thought
I better get this out of the way before putting any delicate photoetch details
on the airframe.  (Because I am a bit of a worrywart about such things, I
purchased a complete second kit with the trusty 40% off Hobby Lobby coupon,
so anything I manage to screw up I already have a replacement for!)
« Last Edit: 03/24/10 at 02:57:53 by intrepid1 »  

IP Logged

intrepid1

"No, honey, that's not
another new model. I've
ha
Denver, CO
Reply #19 - 03/15/10 at 03:19:01

The newly shaved instrument panel during test fitting of the photoetched panel.  
The Eduard panel is very good, but it is too one dimensional, so I'm going to
dress it up a bit. In this photo you can see that I have marked the instrument
locations with a Sharpie-these will be drilled out.

IP Logged

Swanny
YaBB Administrator

Matt, Matt the model maniac

Sandusky, Ohio
Reply #20 - 03/15/10 at 05:02:24

I can see your reflection in the panel, kind of like the final flight scene in the movie Always.  Grin

WWW TheSwanMan perkmstr  
IP Logged

Gawonii
YaBB Administrator

Modeling is a life philosphy

Alabama
Reply #21 - 03/15/10 at 05:31:39

Good luck getting the warp problem sorted out.
I'm interested in seeing what you do with the IP.  It sounds like you've got a definite plan Cool

Mark

I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.
   Albert Einstein
Mark.Gawonii Gawonii  
IP Logged

intrepid1

"No, honey, that's not
another new model. I've
ha
Denver, CO
Reply #22 - 03/15/10 at 08:31:40

The instrument panel after drilling the instrument locations out.
The Eduard panel has not, of course, been attached to the kit panel yet.
img...][/img]...
Two shots of the instrument panel of a UH-1B.  As you can see, there is much more color to the real thing than on the Eduard part.  There are
several placards in both black & red, and a prominent compass card & holder (the white rectangle just to the left of the two center vertical rows
of instruments).  As you can see, not all the instruments are flush with the panel-some project out from it for almost an inch- nor are the master
caution & warning lights (colored rectangular items above the right set of instruments, near the top of the panel). Also very prominent are the
four light assemblies on the underside of the black glareshield, and several round indicator lights that project well away from the surface of the panel.  
Note: The B model panel is not identical to the C model, but they are very similar.
« Last Edit: 03/15/10 at 18:51:48 by intrepid1 »  

IP Logged

intrepid1

"No, honey, that's not
another new model. I've
ha
Denver, CO
Reply #23 - 03/16/10 at 08:49:23

The boiling water appears to have done the trick-the fuselage halves fit together much better than they did before.  Not perfect, but workable.  Something I have found that also helps-put the fuselage halves in a sinkful of hot water (as hot as you can stand to put your hands in) for about a half hour prior to immersing them in the boiling water.  This puts the plastic in a softer, more mallable state prior to the boiling water, and it doesn't take as many immersions to get it right.

IP Logged

intrepid1

"No, honey, that's not
another new model. I've
ha
Denver, CO
Reply #24 - 03/16/10 at 09:13:24

Test fit of the colored insert with the instrument faces behind the panel.  The panel itself needs some work, but
it's a good starting point.
« Last Edit: 03/16/10 at 19:13:28 by intrepid1 »  

IP Logged

OTM
Stellar Member

Houston, Tx.
Reply #25 - 03/17/10 at 06:40:45

Nicely done on the panel!............ Smiley

IP Logged

intrepid1

"No, honey, that's not
another new model. I've
ha
Denver, CO
Reply #26 - 03/17/10 at 07:58:59

Thanks-your input is very much appreciated. The Eduard panel is too flat, and I'm still trying to figure out how to address some of this. The Eduard panel has some dark grey painted areas, but it much too dark, and the raised areas on the panel are shiny natural metal.  The real panel is a lighter grey-FS36231-and has very little natural metal on it.  After fitting the panel to the kit's instrument panel housing & glareshield, I cleaned it with alcohol, then airbrushed the panel with Model Master Dark Gull Grey thinned out quite a bit, so as to not hide the raised details.  I will let this dry overnight.  The great thing about the Eduard metal parts is that you can always clean off the paint & start over if you're not happy about what you've done. (Oh, and by the way-Eduard, if you're listening, a Color Zoom set for this cockpit would be really nice...)
« Last Edit: 03/17/10 at 09:44:28 by intrepid1 »  

IP Logged

intrepid1

"No, honey, that's not
another new model. I've
ha
Denver, CO
Reply #27 - 03/19/10 at 05:27:49

Started working on the pilot & copilot seats.  There is quite a bit of work to be done here-MRC thoughtfully provided seat belts, buckles, & shoulder harnesses molded on the seat cushions & backs, which have to be carefully sanded away.  A Flexifile worked great on this.  The Eduard detail set provides inserts for each side of both the left & right seat frame side panels (i.e., four photoetch panels per seat). This requires trimming some of the molded on detail off the kit's side panels-a small projection on the top edge of the seat panel-where your elbow would be if you were sitting in the seat-was an easy one.  The seat also has tubular frame members on the outboard sides of the panels which must be removed while maintaining a flat surface (not so easy).  Once again the No.17 chisel blade came in handy.  It's slow going doing this, and I'm glad I have the second kit if I screw one up. It also provides a really good opportunity for the blade to slip and end up in the fingers that are holding the part-be careful.  You also have to cut a slot in the side panel, which I did by drilling three small holes close together with a bit in a pin vise.  Then I used the drill bit as sort of a saber saw to join the three holes together to form a slot. This results in a roughly edged slot, but you don't care-the photoetch panels will cover it.  The whole point of all this is to make a slot through the side panel for a seatbelt to go through.  Use one of the photoetch pieces as a template to show you where the slot should be.  I attached one set of two (inner & outer) photoetch panels to a seat frame, and found an unexpected bonus-the inner panel sits flush, but the outer one sits within a "lip" & fits very tightly in place-so tightly I didn't even need to use superglue.  When all is said & done the panel is not perfectly flush-it has just a tiny bit of "oil canning" to it-which is exactly how most of these seat frames look after these machines have been in service for awhile.  The photos above show an inboard & an outboard seat side panel with the photoetched inserts installed, & the seat backs-one before modification, & two after sanding off the seatbelts
& trimming the upper inboard side panels and the grab handles on the top edge.
« Last Edit: 03/21/10 at 05:08:25 by intrepid1 »  

IP Logged

Pablete
Global Moderator

Model-aholic
Fort Collins, CO, USA
Reply #28 - 03/21/10 at 02:37:18

That IP is amazing!!!  Smiley

I've built my first model when I was 5-yr old and I hope to build my last when I'm 105-yr old!
IP Logged

intrepid1

"No, honey, that's not
another new model. I've
ha
Denver, CO
Reply #29 - 03/21/10 at 05:00:15

Thank you, and if you liked that, you'll like this, too-this is the Eduard panel after painting, which really
brought out the detail.  The next step is to paint & ink in the areas around the instruments that should
be black, then apply the placards, decals, & stencils.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print